Text for Fall 2017

• Perkins, Radelet, Lindauer & Block, Economics of Development, W.W. Norton, 7th ed, 2012. ISBN-13: 978-0393934359

I am not assigning a supplemental text – we will however use free (downloadable) resources from the World Bank, EconPapers and elsewhere. Do any of you know novels that give a flavor of life in a rural developing country? The only ones I know are those in the The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, set in Botswana, by Alexander McCall Smith. But even those are set mainly in a city.

In choosing the text, I compared it to 3 others: de Janvry & Sadoulet, Todaro & Smith, and Ray. The topics each covers vary. Ray is heavy on theory and on South Asia while J&S organize their content around specific empirical studies with an emphasis on South and Central America. T&S covers too much too quickly, with many chapters I find extraneous to an economics-based treatment. Even at 20 chapters, PRL&B treat fewer topics, with individuals sections that verge on (and sometimes are) readable essays.

About the prof

Prof of Economics, Wms School of Commerce, Washington and Lee University, Lexington VA
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.