Open book, two hours total, 30 minutes for each question.
Due Tuesday 06 March 2018 in Class
Think! – I am not giving time to write a long essay on each. If you have only a paragraph per (sub)topic, what is your main point? What is subsidiary and can be left to a second paragraph?
- Schooling. NPV.
As Minister of Education, you hire a economic consulting firm to craft help you make a case for a larger budget.
- How can they generate an estimate of the benefits of (enhanced) education? What empirical challenges will they face – data, issues they can/can’t address? Given that their consulting fee will come from Education Ministry, what might they overlook?
- You can’t study everything. A priori on what should you focus your education budget? Would that be popular among the friends of your Endlessly Re-elected President?
- Health. To be or not to be? – malaria, that is.
You are a member of a WHO team working with an African Ministry of Health. You hold what many would view as a devil’s advocate position, that the country for whom you’re preparing a report should to control NOT eliminate malaria.
- Craft your argument for focusing on malaria control, and not malaria elimination.
- Since you don’t advocate that the government engage in a “war against malaria,” where do you advocate Sierra Leone spend more of their limited resources?
“A large population makes for a strong country. Go forth and multiply.” Or at least that was the philosophy of Mao Zedong, China’s leader during 1949-1976.
- Would you as a poor farmer likely cooperate with this policy?
- Would you as Mao’s successor (Deng Xiaoping) agree that this policy will bring dividends to your rule? Or do you foresee benefits in changing it?
- Why was the Green Revolution a “revolution”? How did it transform economies? What new institutions did it require? Or it illusory – to quote The Who, the new boss is the same as the old boss.
- Why might the Green Revolution lag in an equatorial country such as Nigeria? (Cf. a more northerly country such as China?) Why might peasants be uncooperative?